Sunday, April 17, 2011

Preppy Eyedropper + Private Reserve Tanzanite


The drying time for this ink was pretty good considering I wrote the review on Rhodia, which typically takes ink a bit longer to dry on. It is very much worth the wait. 



Here is what a Platinum Preppy looks like when it has been modded to an eyedropper. It looks pretty cool with all of the ink sloshing around inside, doesn't it? 



For some reason the paint on the Preppy's nib has started to come off. I don't know how common it is, but it only affects aesthetics and has not altered the performance. 


All it takes is an o-ring (Goulet Pen Co. or hardware store), silicon grease (I picked mine up at a hardware store), and a preppy that you don't mind converting. Of course you will need a new ink to try. I bet a green would look great in here, too. You can see a tutorial of the cartridge/converter to eyedropper conversion on JetPens. 


And there you have it. Let me know if you have any questions. 

6 comments:

  1. The reason of the nib paint of is probably ink content. Chemicals like aseton, ethylene or similar for quick drying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The paint comes off these Preppys real quick. I haven't handled some of mine a lot and it's already half off.

    You don't even need to use an o-ring, the silicon grease is enough but the o-ring does make it safer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Peninkcillin !
    As you and economy pens pointed, this is a common problem in preppys. This is a issue and very bad new for me. Because I already ordered 12pcs. of preppy from JetPen for my blog readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't mind the paint coming off so long as some of the paint doesn't get stuck in the tines. They might as well make a regular steel nib, though.

    Good to know I can skip the o-ring for when I run out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a bunch of preppy's and I've never noticed the paint coming off the nib. I've notice it wears off the body of the pen pretty quickly but that isn't a problem for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, for the money, it is hard to complain about the Preppy. I recently had my Noodler's Creaper Rollerball start leaking all over, and I have not been able to fix it. I feel bad for giving it such a positive review, especially when it costs 5x more than a Preppy.

    ReplyDelete