Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mini Review: Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel


As with many scanned images, the color in this image does not do justice to the actual color of the ink, which is incredible to write with. I noted how long the drying time takes, and it is substantial on Rhodia paper, but the color is just too cool not to use. I even went so far as to say that this is one of the most beautiful colors one can experience, and when you get a chance to write with it, you will see what I meant. The really dark sentence in the second half of the image is where I had stopped writing for a bit and started again, so you will a range of color, from dark magenta to a bright pink with hints of purple.

Being an "Eel" ink, this ink is designed to lubricate the piston filling mechanism of the pen, but I think the lubricating ingredient also translates into a smoother writing experience. I also noticed this in using Noodler's Gruene Cactus Eel. 

The paper that I used for this review is the Rhodia Reverse Book with 80 gram graph paper. The pen that I used is a Padrino Contour with a medium nib, which I will be reviewing at some point. 

So, if you are a fan of colors in this spectrum, or you want to branch out more, I think this is an amazing color.    If you don't want to invest in a full bottle, I recommend getting a sample from Goulet Pens, which is what I did, because my girlfriend didn't like her bottle of J. Herbin Rouge Bourgogne as much as she thought she did, so now I will probably just get samples before buying full bottles. 

Related Links:
Goulet Pen Company Ink Sample Page (Note: I bought my sample, and I am not affiliated with Goulet Pens)
    

6 comments:

  1. I really like the way this looks! It reminds me of a very slightly lighter Noodler's Saguaro Wine, which I also love the color of! Nice review...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a bit girly for me and I see it as situational, i.e. great for drawing but not so much for writing, say, at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Jomammie - I also have a sample of the Saguaro Wine, so I am looking forward to trying that one soon. I am glad you liked the review, and I think you would enjoy Cactus Fruit Eel, too!

    @ Peninkcillin - You're absolutely right. I would never let this ink leave the house in one of my pens because of the girly factor, but it is one of those inks that are fun to use in private. My girlfriend told me to write her love letters with this color, so that's probably what I'll end up doing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really does look nice to me, even being a slightly feminine color. Hey, I'm confident enough to use Diamine Majestic Purple! :D I'll try this in my Reform next, most likely. The piston is kinda stiff in it and I'm hoping it'll help lubricate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a great color! I don't think it is too girly, but since I am a girl, it doesn't bother me anyways. It probably wouldn't have been a color I would have selected without seeing your review! Thanks for posting it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melinda - you should definitely check out this color. It is far more vibrant in real life than in my scan so, if you think it looks cool here, you will love the color when you get a chance to try it out. Thanks for stopping by, and I am glad you liked the review!

    ReplyDelete