Friday, August 26, 2011

What Would a Multi-Fountain-Pen Look Like?

While I was at work today, I was wondering whether or not it would be possible - or worthwhile - to make a pen that had multiple fountain pen points in it. Some of the questions I asked myself included:

  • Could one fit multiple fountain pen points in a single pen without it being too large?
  • Would it be possible to make a pen that cycled through different nib sizes? 
  • Could three ultra-slim cartridges fit into a pen, allowing one to have a variety of fountain pen inks in a single barrel?
I am curious to know if anyone else has ever thought of this or what it might look like. If you are artistically inclined, would anyone be willing to try to sketch a prototype? Even if you're not an artist, what do you think it would look like or how it would work?

Let me know! 

4 comments:

  1. I think a fountain pen with multiple nib sizes (EF, B, Italic) would be really cool but I don't see how it could be done. It might end up very thick. Something along the lines of the Pilot Vanishing Point maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about fusing different nibs together like a sailor trident, but have a different nib width on each side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There have been some two colour fountain pens - a nib at each end. So you could have a different size at each end and they could share the ink supply or else use short cartridges.
    Parker once advertised its nibs as reversible the "back" writing finer but I think they were only cashing in on a trick lots of writers used anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peninkcillin - I am not quite sure how the three nib combo could be down, but that is the same combination I was thinking of, and it would be lovely, even if it could only be a single color.

    Anonymous - I had never heard, or seen, of the Sailor Trident, and it looks damn cool. I think this is a step in the right direction.

    Michael J Corry - A double-sided fountain pen might work, too. I think I'd prefer to have all of the nibs on one side, especially with potential issues with ink flow. As for the Parker thing, it is humorous that they tried to add that as a feature. I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete