Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Doane Paper Leather Works Utility Notebook Cover



Mrs. Claus was good to me this year, and she came through with one of the items from my Holiday Gift Guide posting, the Doane Paper Leather Works Utility Notebook Cover. I wanted something that would protect my pocket notebooks so they don't get destroyed when I carry them around in back pocket for a weeks/months.


Opening the box revealed this card. Genuine leather? Sure! Handcrafted? Excellent! 

The leather for this product was sourced through Horween. If you go to their site, you can see that they take leather making very seriously. 


On the other side of the card, you get more information about Horween and the techniques used to produce the (exceptional) leather.


Alas, the notebook cover. The notebook features a light blue stitching reminiscent of Tiffany's blue. The leather is thick, soft, and just feels durable. The semi-dark brown looks classy and rugged. 


'made in the USA' is stamped on the back, which is rare to see these days. Do you see that stitching?!


The notebook cover includes one utility notebook. If you haven't tried Doane's paper products, they are excellent. I love the way the grid + lines layout offers a friendly way to switch between standard text and charting, graphing, and planning.

We have a lot of projects at home right now, so Doane is perfect for coordinating the to-do lists, supplies, and necessary time lines. During school, Doane serves me well on any assignments that I have, especially during the initial stages.

In short, it is easy to recommend Doane paper, and this Leather Works Utility Notebook Cover is exceptional. Go get one (when they are back in stock).

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Im impressed. I've seen looked at them before but your photo's look so much nicer in person. What size notebook can you stick in there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please post a follow-up after you have used the cover for a few weeks. I am most interested!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about a small notebook cover before, Looking at mine its kinda beat up and crinkled looking. Its not that I care that much about my notebook cover getting messed up but the luxury of the cover is supremo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @The Original Steven H -

    The notebook cover will work with 5.5" x 3.5" notebooks (Doane, Field Notes, Moleskine), but the cover itself is 6" x 4", so you have some wiggle room.

    @countrydirt -

    I will absolutely do a follow-up posting, and I am assuming the notebook will have some "character" at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well you beat me to the review on this one. I purchased one from Doane around 3 months ago now and it has been a daily carry for me since.

    I have had is sloshing around my bag with my tech pack and moleskines, basically to distress it. You know to get the nicks and gouges a leather product can only get by USE. I have to say I LIKE IT. Still has that lovely leather smell from the tanning. The patina of daily wear has only gotten deeper. I am still using the included book that came with it current use as an address book for my letter writing and post-crossing projects.

    As a frequent user of Field Notes Brand and Doane Paper (not a big moleskine cahier fan), I would have no reservation recommending this to ANYONE. If you have the money to spend on something that will last you for probably the rest of your existence go for it. While there are other covers out there (etsy), none have the feel and fit of this fine Horween Cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Derrick,

    Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I'm assuming I will have a similar response a few months down the road when I do an update post.

    Would you be willing to take a picture so I can post that as well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the DP Leather Works love guys, very much appreciated! It's always a little scary rolling out something entirely new. Glad to know Derrick the patina is working in after some daily use. Hopefully in 2012 we'll be rolling out a couple more additions to the Leather Works line to house our writing pads.

    Best,
    Doane

    ReplyDelete
  8. will do guys. should have something for you by sunday. Wife is in hospital and my 4yr old is a hand full right now :)

    ReplyDelete