Saturday, April 14, 2012

Question from a Reader

I received an e-mail asking about finding the perfect pen for signing books, and I wanted to open this question up on Economy Pens to see what everyone else recommends, so please comment and help this guy find some new pens to try!

"I am desperately trying to find a pen to sign books with.  I have spent hours researching Uni-balls and Pentels and Pilots and Sharpies and I still can not tell what the best type of pen is for signing the title page of a trade paperback.  I need something that dries quickly (which I guess means no gel pens) and something with no acid (archival quality), and low bleeding (no liquid inks) but something that is smooth.  Suggestions I have heard are the new Sharpie pens, Jetstream from Uni-ball, which supposedly has a new hybrid ink, or the Energel Deluxe pens from Pentel.  I thought this would be easier than it has turned out to be, and any recommendations you could give would be wonderful"

5 comments:

  1. JetStream Alpha Gel (the gel refers to the grip). I really like mine and Jetsreams are about the only ballpoint pen I will use. I can't really say I have ever had problems with smearing. The pens are recommended for writing checks as the ink resists the majority of check fraud methods out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could always try a fountain pen w/ Noodler's Black. Hey if you get the 4.5oz, it even comes with the pen! Fast drying archival-ish quality (I don't know if this has been tested, but it is low acid, water proof, and check fraud proof-ed) and a LOT of ink. Plus the awesomeness that is signing with fountain pens... if they're familiar with using it. :) This is what I'd certainly use at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would recommend the Pentel Energel. It leaves a quick drying, crisp black line on paper. It looks great on the inside of book covers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for everyone's input. In the end, I chose the Energel Deluxe .07 and it seems to work well for my uses as of right now. Smooth, dries fast, no bleed. May try the Sharpies in the future, through...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a prep article for anyone who had to "handle" Neil Gaiman and I specifically remember it mentioning he uses Sharpies for book signings. And requires vats of tea.

    ReplyDelete