Friday, June 29, 2012

Schneider Xtra Document .3 Rollerball


After seeing my post on the Schneider Memo XB, Stride, Inc. reached out to me to see if I'd be interested in sampling additional Schneider products, so I obviously jumped at the opportunity to see what else Schneider has to offer. 

Thanks to Stride, Inc., you will start seeing Schneider products in some of the big box retails stores, such as Office Depot and OfficeMax. Given the stagnant selection typically found in the larger retailers, new options are certainly welcome. 

So, what is the Schneider Xtra Document?

 From the Schneider Xtra Document Page:


"Ink roller with conical tip made of stainless steel and innovative liquid ink technology. Waterproof ink according to ISO 14145-2. The Xtra ink regulator controls the ink flow exactly and consistently from beginning to end, without blots or interruptions. The large ink reservoir has a level indicator and an ergonomic rubber grip on the barrel of the pen, promoting a tireless and relaxed writing experience. The cap has a high value metal clip."




Depending on the paper you use, the line width will be somewhere between .3 and .5 - And, in either case, this is a good thing, especially considering that many liquid ink pens bleed out to a .6-.8+ line width.

In terms of fine point pens, Japan tends to excel at producing clean, sharp lines in the micro tip category and, based on my experience, Germany is likely second in line for producing high-quality pens with precision writing, though this may be subject to debate (please comment if you feel differently).

The fact that these pens are becoming more popular in the U.S. retail environment is huge; normally we are stuck with a very narrow margin of options, and I can only hope that consumers of fine writing implements create the demand required to change the status quo. 





As far as the conical tip and rubber grip, both are quite solid in quality and performance. The grip is made of the material that tends to attract dust but, being a capped pen, I think the buildup after a few days of use is fairly negligible.

While the pen is not refillable, I think the build quality will easily last through the life of the life of the ink.


The description from Schneider notes the "high value metal clip", and I am not quite sure what is meant about the value, but it is solid, aesthetically pleasing, and looks very nice. What more can be said?


It may seem flashy, but this offering from Schneider is, apparently, loaded with technology to ensure consistent, satisfactory writing, and everything I experienced with this pen reaffirms that indication. I will soon be posting additional reviews from the Schneider package I received from Stride, Inc. 


6 comments:

  1. Hi

    I came across this blog when I was searching for info about the xtra document

    I tried various "0.3mm line width" models of the Xtra line. While I didn't measure the line width, the Xtra Document 03 actually writes the widest line width. The Xtra hybrid and Xtra 823 (both not waterproof), especially the Xtra823, write noticeably thinner lines, despite both being labelled 0.3mm just like the Xtra Document 03.

    The line width of Xtra hybrid and Xtra 823 is quite similar to the Staedtler liquid point 5 (claimed line width is 0.25mm) and cool roller to me. And these Staedtler are also not waterproof neither.

    So I am wondering if it is the waterproof ink that causes the bleeding and deviation from the 0.3mm line width as Schneider claims.

    If only the waterproof ink can be matched with the tip of Xtra 823....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I found this place by researching fine tipped pens, and was toying with this, but if rollers get this wide it probably won't be something I like.

      I'm actually trying to better the UMR-83 refill Uni-Ball pen I have which produces an awesome look, but it runs out ridiculously quickly. Less than a week and more than half is gone without writing much.

      Delete
  2. I am not sure if it is the properties of the waterproof ink or just paper that is more fibrous/porous than one another.

    Unless you're using plasticized vellum (e.g., Clairefontaine), liquid ink pens always seem to spread more than is desired (assuming you prefer a really fine line). I wonder what Schneider would say about this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The variability of paper in the market place greatly influences the end result of line width. Pen Manufacturers usually reference the size of the ball and the end user is talking the line width of the ink lay down on the paper. Many manufactures, American, Japanese, German or elsewhere speak of ball size or line width, you have to clarify what they're talking about. Chemistry, viscosity, ball housing gap also are factors that influence ink flow rates. The metal components that the liquid flows through can set up chemical reactions also, so the whole system has to be balanced. The modern writing instrument is significantly complex. Arguably, the German engineering is the best and the Japanese are in a close second.

      Delete
  3. Wow, grateful to see the constructive discussion.

    I have taken a photo for preliminary comparison of the line width. You may want to take a look.


    http://i.imgur.com/OK0lI.jpg


    The line width of xtra document 823 looks notably wider. When I write with it, i could feel that the ink seems to bleed more quickly... but I do like the shading of the blue ink, which is something not often seen in other pigment-based rollerball ink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree that the liquid ink tends to spread to a fault. I am about to review the Xtra Document Hybrid, and I had a very difficult time finding paper that was satisfactory, so I am not sure that it will do well for those with more discriminating tastes.

    ReplyDelete