Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Pilot EasyTouch Pro (Medium) Black, Blue, and Red


The EasyTouch Pro is not a pen a I read a lot about, and I don't know what to make of that. Of all of the "regular" ballpoints available on the shelves, at least in the U.S., I think this is one of the best.

I picked these up in a 3-pack for around $7.00. You get the usual black, blue, and red combination that seems to be the default for a multi-color pack of pens.



One thing that I really like about this pen is the grips. Sure, they can attract a bit of dust, but these little tire-like grips are wonderfully grippy and ergonomic, and I put these in my top 3 in the Best Grip category.


The conical tip shape and 1.0 mm ball are standard options for a ballpoint, so this might be a good configuration to elevate someone beyond their regular ballpoint without having them experience a jarring transition from their comfort zone, i.e., not everyone is going to move from a 1.0 mm ballpoint to a .38 gel without feeling that their world has been violated - it's best to smart with small advancements and go from there. 



As noted in the written review, the performance of this pen is very smooth, with only moderate white spots within the line consistency; it's enough for me to overlook, at least. 




 The built quality is quite solid and everything feels firm and durable. The retractable mechanism has a pronounced click action and the overall balance and comfort of the barrel leaves little to critique - of course, your mileage may vary.

For anyone who likes to take notes in a couple different colors, this is a great little set. That being said, you can also track down the Acroball multipen, which not only has other point sizes, but it's a more convenient package for those of you who don't want to lug around a large pen case.




8 comments:

  1. Whoa! I've never heard of these before! (Something I seem to say very often on your blog, which means you find neat things hehe). They look nice though. I bet it would be awesome with more colours... yum. I'm a big Pilot fan! Thanks for the review, I will keep my eye out for these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Azizah - Thank you for the kind words! I try to make the trip worthwhile, so I have a bunch of the "regular" stuff that I tend to skip over.

    If you end up getting some of EasyTouch Pros, I look forward to getting your perspective on them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how do they compare to the original easy touch pens?

      Delete
    2. Better barrel and better (smoother, more vibrant) ink.

      I think the regular EasyTouch are like any other ballpoint; these are better, but they are not quite as smooth as a JetStream. The Acroball does seem more consistent, but it's also available as a .5 and .7 size.

      Delete
  3. I've used these pens but they come in 2nd place to Uniball Jetstreams

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed these pens for over a year, mostly using the black and the blue refills. They remind me of the older Papermate pens - well-crafted and inexpensive ballpoints that write very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I never used the older Papermates, but I don't love Papermate at this point. I'm glad you enjoy these, though - it's kind of refreshing to find something off the beaten path that works well.

      Delete