Thursday, February 7, 2013

Daycraft X Handy pick holder + DAIGO Accessories


Mr. Foreal Lee, of Daycraft, generously sent out the Daycraft X Handy pick holder with some DAIGO accessories for review. The following information was provided with the package:

This is a crossover project between Daycraft and DAIGO (www.daigo.co.jp; a well-known stationary brand and manufacturer in Japan). We combine the classic refills first popularized by Daigo 35 years ago in Japan and the best-selling signature series of organizer products by Daycraft of Hong Kong

Watch the YouTube video for the product to give you an idea of the aim of this project. Anyhow, on to the review.


The Handy pick holder is a customizable organizer that allows you to use a variety of refills and accessories to fit your specific needs. A full list of the refills and accessories is available on the Daycraft website -> http://www.daycraft.com.hk/products/accessories/handy-pick-extras.html


The Handy pick holder is the outer book/shell that holds your chosen accessories. You have several pockets to utilize the accessories, so there are numerous potential combinations available to you.


The sample I received features a smokey grey exterior and something close to an ocean blue for the stitching and part of the area inside of the holder. I wouldn't normally think these colors would work well together, but I find it to have a nice balance between outward professionalism and a fun, appealing interior. 


Just a touch of the blue to instill curiosity...


Three large pockets and one card pocket are available to you. See what I mean about the blue? Juxtaposed with the grey, it is very intense - I like it. 


The accessories I receive include the ruled notebook refill and the fastener pocket. I was delighted to find that the paper was heavy, yet silky stuff; more on that in a second. The fastener pocket made me think of a great place to hold receipts and coupons, and I soon realized that my fiance would probably steal this from me, which she did.


Another handy diagram to show how it all comes together. 


Initially I was thinking that I would just insert the back cover into the right side, but for the sake of writing ease, I realized that the front and back cover would both have a side of the holder, i.e., the cover of the notebook refill is slid into the left side while the back cover of the notebook refill is place into the right side of the holder.


Ok. So with the ruled notebook refill and the fastener pocket installed, the Handy pick holder was ready. Now, how about that paper?


I mentioned that the paper looked pretty nice, and it certainly feels great, too. It's fairly thick, but it's also quite smooth. I was going to do a gel, roller ball, ballpoint, pencil test, but I figured it would be best to go right to a fountain pen.


I grabbed a Kaweco Sport (F) loaded with J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Ink, and the results were delightful. The paper took the ink very well with no feathering or bleed-through, and the show-through/ghosting was very minimal.

I have to say, this is a great little system. I'm hoping that Daycraft is able to find a U.S. distributor at some point, because I don't want to pay for international shipping but, if you don't mind the extra charge, I think this product will work well for many different applications.

The holder is $219 (Hong Kong), which equates to $28.24 as of today (2/7/13).
The refills range from $53-$69 (Hong Kong), which equates to $6.83-$8.90 as of today...

No comments:

Post a Comment