Saturday, November 9, 2013

OHTO Fude Ball 1.5 mm Red



According to JetPens, the OHTO Fude's application is inspired by the Japanese tradition of writing cards for the New Year, and I can definitely also see using this for Christmas cards and Valentine's Day, editing/markup/corrections or, as I suggested, using it for love notes. :)


The reason for all of this conflicted confusion? That big ol' ball is just as menacing as HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's ginormous, and you can see that it means business. The color it puts down could be a tad darker for my tastes (in my opinion, the color is a bit on the pinkish-red side). 


 The grip is smooth and displays the ink comb/regulator inside. The 1.5 mm designation is proudly displayed on the side of the barrel.


Look at that bubbly red ink - a dramatic appearance for a stick pen. I'm not sure how long the ink in this pen will last, especially given the diameter of the ball, but this pen is also not refillable, which is unfortunate.


 The refined brushed aluminum clip adds contrast to a fairly wild barrel pattern, what with all the diamond shapes and what not. The writing experience was delightful - on Rhodia paper - but a 1.5 mm liquid ink roller ball is not going to play well on all paper, nor will it align with everyone's taste in pens, but it's a unique experience that I think a lot of people will like just because it's so different. I will probably check out the black ink version at some point because it will be a more practical color for my needs.

At $2.50 a throw, it's not necessarily a "must try", but it meets a specific need and is a lot of fun to use. I received this one as a free sample from JetPens, but I always promise to tell it how it is.



2 comments:

  1. I've been looking at your blog through out the year and have admired the posts. i love my lamy safari pen and ink samples that i just got. i can't wait to sample them all.
    Wishing you a wonderful holiday season and look forward to seeing you in 2014 through the blog!

    happy holidays.
    Ria
    mallardtrailmail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ria,

      Thank you for the kind words! The Lamy Safari is a fine choice indeed. What size nib do you use? I prefer the EF most of the time, or the M if I'm using a vellum-type paper.

      Happy Holidays, and thanks for visiting.

      Delete