Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tombow 2558 B Wooden Pencil


Every now and again I get the urge to pick up a regular ol' wooden pencil, and I've heard great things about Tombow's pencil quality. 


A few things led be me to believe this was going to be a favorable experience. First, the coating of the pencil is thick and smooth, not like those shoddy pencils you often find during Back to School, what with all the flaking what such.

Plus, it say 'High Quality' right on the side, so at least there's some rhetoric in the works, too. I do prefer darker lines when I write, since I'm typically a pen user, so I like that this one is a 'B'.


 Tombow has also been making pencils for century, so I figure that counts for something. I find it amusing that this is FOR GENERAL WRITING. I wonder if worlds collide if I try to use it for sketching or as a chopstick.


Everything else is standard. Basic metal ferrule and a pink, squishy eraser.


Sharpening was ideal; the wood peeled smoothly, and the cedar smells exceptional. The point was smooth and did not break or crumble during sharpening. 


This image is a bit fuzzy, darn. I compared the Tombow with some other great pencils, and I was surprised to see how well it fared against the Staedtler Noris, which was a bit smoother due to a waxier feel. The General's has a lot of tooth and is very dark, while the Tombow has a touch of tooth and is perfectly dark. This is a soft lead, so you will likely have to resharpen the point fairly often.

I was actually quite disappointed with the Faber-Castell 9000 as it seems to be more of an 'H' in hardness, so I don't know what's going on there.


Last step was the eraser test. The pink eraser works about as well as expected. It's a bit less abrasive than some, so it doesn't shred the paper, but it's very soft, so it's not going to last very long.

Overall, I do like this pencil quite a bit. It may be on the pricey side for a basic pencil, but the lead is excellent, and there's a lot of things done well in this package.

I received my pencil, no charge, as a sample to review from JetPens.

Tombow 2558 B Wooden Pencil - $1.00 @ JetPens

1 comment:

  1. I love this pencil!! It's smooth and dark enough for a light handed writer, has a good point retention and at least in my perspective writes even better than the blackwing 602. A cheaper alternative to enjoy a wonderful pencil.

    ReplyDelete