Thursday, March 13, 2014

Caran d'Ache Ballpoint with Rolex Branding



I recently met up with a good friend, Frank, who's been in the jewelry business for many years. An item he recently shared with me over some fine ale was this Caran d'Ache ballpoint, with a brand from arguably the most well-known fine watchmaker, Rolex.

The green and gold is reminds me a bit of the 80s, an item you might expect to see in the first Wall Street movie- I dig it.


My friend handed me the pen, lamenting that the refill was empty. So the search began to find the replacement. I was fairly certain it was either the Schmidt 9000 ballpoint or another one I had heard of called the 'Goliath'. A quick search revealed that it was the Goliath that I needed, so I ordered one from The Largest Online Retailer and had it in a few days.


The refill was pricey, but it is also made in Switzerland, comes in a sturdy protective tube, and would likely last long enough to belt out a solid 200 page novel. It's called the Goliath for a reason - it's a damn big refill.


Writing with the pen was quite pleasant. I'd happily carry this pen as an every day writer. Sure, it's not the uber-dark super ballpoint ink that's out there now, but it's a worthy ink, and I, at times, enjoy the less-than-perfect ballpoints out there; the static on vinyl recordings or cassette tapes that you listened to 20+ years ago have this quality, and there's something nice about that.

This was my first experience with a Caran d'Ache product, and I often want a Caran d'Ache pencil when I see them over at one of my favorite blogs, La Vie Graphite, run by pencil friend Speculator. I think I might have to seek out a pen/pencil combo from this fine Swiss manufacturer.

My friend recently informed me that the pen is a frequent user in his daily arsenal, so my job is done. It'd be a shame to have this workhorse sitting in a drawer. The build quality is solid; so long as you find refills, this thing will last forever.


11 comments:

  1. There's a whole range of Caran d'Ache pens, 0.7mm pencils and 2mm leadolders. In the UK the best to get them is cultpens.com where they have possibly the whole range from plain colours through aluminium to silver plated. They also carry refills in black blue red and green with different point sizes. The refill, they claim, is good for 600 A4 pages. I haven't seen dark green so I'd guess this was a promotional item for Rolex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael - Thanks for the info! I've heard of that vendor before (good things, too), and I'm inclined to get both a pen and pencil. Do you own any Caran d'Ache?

      Delete
    2. I do have some Caran d'Ache aquarelle pencils and the Fixpencil - a 2mm clutch pencil ( leadholder) that looks just like your pen. I don't have the pen so I don't know how it performs. I do know that there is a range of silver versions - same basic shape with different engraved patterns. Bit too expensive for me, sadly.

      Delete
    3. I've seen that (or something similar) - they do like great but, as you said, they're not cheap.

      Delete
  2. So good to see this blog entry- and thank you for your compliments, which I greatly appreciate!
    Caran d'Ache Fixpencils are both sturdy and elegant. I've been writing with them for years, and I also use them for design work and bookbinding. I have a few that belonged to my grandfather, and one of them is in this picture, next to my fountain pen (also made by Caran d'Ache). CdA's fountain pens are silky smooth; I can't recommend them highly enough.

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/21399267@N08/13749153273/in/set-72157633497640821

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, nice of you to stop by! The Fixpencil looks amazing, and it's great that it was passed down to you. I'll have to look around for a nice, well-aged Fixpencil to facilitate reflecting, nourishing writing. I look forward to more of your posts; the pictures are always amazing. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. These pens are officially called the "849", and several internet vendors in the US carry them and the "Goliath" refills. I own three of the plain 849 BPs (grey, yellow and plain black), and one of the all-gold series that's available. Deluxe models come in a stylish stamped metal case (gold plated on the gold pens). They have a wonderfully smooth and quiet refill advance.mechanism as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the Name of ALLAH, the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful.

    O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm in justice, witnesses for ALLAH, even if it be against yourselves or parents and relatives. Whether one is rich or poor, ALLAH is more worthy of both. So follow not [personal] inclination, lest you not be just. And if you distort [your testimony] or refuse [to give it], then indeed ALLAH is ever, with what you do, Acquainted.

    Holy Quran-Chapter 4 verse 135

    ReplyDelete
  5. I invite you to me on my blog. Greetings from Poland!
    http://mypens82.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello I want to buy a watch found here seems pretty good, do not know to pick the help of everyone to the point.
    panerai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb article, i would love to buy Caran D' Ache because it's rare and one of a kind !!

    ReplyDelete